Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I lie here looking at you thinking about the people we could have become, and how much more we might have been able to grow together. If we had been a little more patient with each other, and with others, where would we be now?

Never a day goes by that I do not regret the day it did not rain, because we were always the most beautiful then. We shared the same affinity for the darker side of the world, when the night sky was out and everyone else was asleep. I remember how we would walk away into the deep silence, not needing to speak because words were not our language.

We never saw the sunlight, or the blue skies. We never felt the need to step out after the rain, because that was us and I knew even then that there would be no other like you. Our happiest times were the cold, wet, winter nights that would make us get out of bed to stand in the rain just to feel it fall on our faces. I would feel most at peace at those moments because I knew you were beside me and I would listen to you through each drop that holds your whispers. We were living in a dream within my nightmare.

I didn't know it would be the last time I would stand in the soggy dusk with you or touch the dirt in our hands together. On that stark white morning when you stepped out in the open was the day you left me to go your separate way. You couldn't love the night like how I loved you anymore. You never wanted to run your fingers through the storm again. You left me with your haunting gaze as you swallowed everything I ever owned and had given you.

I don't want to pick up, or be the sun rays that would eventually shine through the clouds of rain. In our world, you and I both know there is no other way to go about it. Because you are my anchor as I am yours, and I will go down when you do.

I watch you lie peacefully in that pure white bed and watch my life stain across your body. I never want you to be free, and I never want to be free from you. You are mine as the hours of darkness will be ours forever.

So, I lie here looking at you thinking about the people we could have become, and how much more we might have been able to grow together. If we had been a little more patient with each other, and with others, where would we be now?